Thursday, June 18, 2009

The unlucky Tahoe

I just realized I never blogged about out Tahoe being stolen the night of June 2. Jon went out of town for just one night and that night I accidentally left the garage door open. Alyssa and I took took the kids to Costco for a few things and ice cream. We ended up getting home about a half hour past the twins bed time so I rushed getting all the stuff in the house. The last thing I remember was getting the case of vitamin water and coming into the house. I think I left the back of the Tahoe open even. I never leave my purse in the car either and I did that night. Well at some point after 12:30 am some scum balls came into the garage and took the car...purse and all. When I woke at 7:30 the next morning I noticed a lot of light coming through the almost shut door to the garage. I opened and to my surprise the Tahoe was gone. I called the police and they were here within 15 minutes. The sheriff wrote up the report and was gone by 8:30 am. At 11 I got the call that they had found the Tahoe. I was still at this point playing phone tag with the insurance lady so by the time I talked to her it wasnt a stolen car anymore. We had just changed insurance c.o to Geico (we saved a bundle) last month and we hadnt read the fine print just yet so our fancy stereo/nav system (that had been stolen 2 other times) wasnt completely covered. We only got $1000 for it and these guys stole a head rest w a dvd player inside and the expensive amp along with the front unit. They also stole my prescription sunglasses, about 40 kids dvds and 2 car seats. The personal property was only set to $200 (that doesnt include the car seats though) so we pretty much are out $400 for all those dvds we had. Oh yeah...they got to the credit cards in my purse and used a few. They werent very smart robbers because they only used them at gas stations! I am more sad about losing all the stuff in my wallet then I am about the getting my car stolen. It's amazing how much crap I had in there that I miss. I even went to where the cops found the car and looked in the garbage cans around to see if they threw my wallet or anything else in there of ours but I couldnt see anything and I wasnt going to dumpster dive. I'm glad we got the car back but boy that thing is a pain. We decided to just take the cash and we'll put just a plain ol stereo in the car now. Having an in dash nav system just isnt working for us. We hopefully will be getting the tahoe back today or maybe tomorrow. This whole thing could have turned really ugly since the door to the garage was pretty much open. Now I am pretty adament about locking everything up. I still havent used the alarm system we have set up throughout the house. I am just so mad that this happened. We live on a street that isnt even a through street so these guys are just driving around our neighborhoods looking for suckers like me who leave the garage door open. It's sad really.

No comments:

Post a Comment